Summer Fun in Sussex County
We hope you’ve been out and about enjoying the beautiful summer weather with family and friends! If you’re looking to get mom or dad out more this summer, or if you’re looking for a fun event that the whole family can enjoy – we have options for you! Without further ado, here are some great options for sharing the summer fun with your senior loved ones, from our Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) in Sussex County, New Jersey.
- 6th Annual NJ Taco Festival. This taco festival is a fantastic day out for anyone who loves the spice of life! Enjoy the best taco trucks in town, meet celebrity chefs and food writers, stock up on artisanal sauces and treats, enjoy live music, watch a beauty pageant, and see contestants go head-to-head in the Reaper Pepper Eating Challenge – if you’re brave enough to watch!
- 2021 Annual Charity Golf Outing. If your mom or dad loves to get out and spend a day on the green, there’s no better day to do it than the Annual Charity Golf Outing in support of the Sarala Bathena Foundation. Hosted at Crystal Springs in Hamburg, you get to enjoy a day at one of the top-rated public courses in the state. Donations will go towards supporting restaurant workers in New Jersey and New York, bringing a little sunshine into people’s lives after a tough year!
- Support the Sussex County Minors. Nothing says “summer” quite like baseball, so pack up the kids, grandparents, and cousins for a fun day out at the ballpark supporting the Sussex County Minors! The season runs until September 12th with home games at the EDT Skylands Stadium in Augusta, NJ, so it’s easy to find a weekend that suits everyone. Remember, on Saturdays there are usually fireworks too!
- Lake Hopatcong Historical Cruise. Learn about the history of Lake Hopatcong with historian Marty Kane as you gently cruise along the lake on a beautiful summer’s day. This 2-hour cruise is a great opportunity to dive into local history as you enjoy the sunset. There’s a bar and snacks available on board, and this year you can reserve an appetizer with your ticket purchase, so you won’t go hungry!
- Lots of Strings Festival at Morris Museum. This outdoor event transforms the museum’s parking lot into a theatre for an exceptional musical performance. Featuring the most acclaimed ensembles from members of Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, as well as Imani Winds and Ethel, this live music event is a must-see for anyone who loves classical string music. Bring your loved ones, a picnic basket filled with summer goodies and enjoy the sunset along with some of the best string music in the world.
- A New View—Camden. If your senior parent is up for a weekend away or a longer day trip, you can enjoy an outdoor art extravaganza at “A New View – Camden.” Launched on Earth Day and funded by a $1 million Bloomberg Philanthropies Public Art Challenge grant to bring awareness to the environmental issue of illegal dumping, this striking, outdoor art exhibit is in the area for 6 months over the summer. Along with the exhibit, there are a series of family-friendly events offered, including movie nights, the Trenton Circus Squad, biking and walking events.
- The New Jersey State Fair. Who doesn’t love a state fair? Open rain or shine this August (and with free parking too), this is the ultimate summer event for all ages. Enjoy petting zoos, carnival rides, art exhibits, the Sussex County horse show, and – of course – the best food in the state from dawn until dusk. Pack your sunscreen, walking shoes and remember to stay hydrated!
Our CCRC in Newton, NJ, is a beautiful and welcoming space for seniors. Whether you have just retired or are looking for additional care, our community allows you to retain your independence and scale care services according to your needs. Bristol Glen also has many opportunities for socialization with a pre scheduled monthly calendar filled with fun activities on campus and in the nearby community.
For more information on Bristol Glen, our services, and how we support independent style living for seniors in NJ, please contact us today or visit our website at https://bristolglen.umcommunities.org/